Opportunities where there is a need for active, engaging teaching to large groups or individuals, adults and children, in a a wide range of subjects, including, but not limited to: General English, Business English, advertising, marketing, brand-management, presentation skills, public speaking, exam preparation and communication with new technologies.
A dynamic professional with 17 years of experience teaching in Barcelona, with a special ability
to engage and inspire students from beginners to higher levels, professionals to academics,
and from kids to teenagers to senior citizens.
Achievements / Professional History
Instituto de Estudios Norte-Americanos (2000-2010)
- Achieved average scores of 95 on Official Class Observations over a 10-year period.
- Scored consistently above average on Teacher Evaluation Surveys that include the opinions
of over a thousand students over a 10-year period.
- Inspired and led large group classes of kids, adolescents and adults to become active and
confident in English, using a wide range of special tricks, including languages chunks, gestures
and zippy routines, tailored to fit the needs of each particular age group.
- Developed an original teaching style which incorporates a variety of innovative techniques that
speed up the learning process and increase language recall abilities; includes a wide range of fun
and interactive methods including humor, surprise and other emotional stimuli, and body language
that lead to greater student participation and engagement and increased language recall.
Kids and Us School of English (2010-2012)
- Part of a small team that designed and created original class content for 3 academic years that
included 3 student books of about 100 pages each, and 180 lesson plans for use in 70 English
academies throughout Spain and in Italy.
While teaching Business English classes to adults in BCN (1995 – present)
- Successfully led presentation skills workshops for 2 leading global companies focused on brand
management, media and communication. (Burson-Marsteller and Millward Brown, Barcelona offices)
- Specialized in coaching medical doctors for congresses and presentations.
- Successfully incorporated the use of new media, with a special focus on podcasts, into class
content to ensure relevance to students’ area of interests, both professional and personal.
- Guided Spanish students in the application process to graduate studies programs at elite
American universities (interview coaching, essay editing, GRE exam preparation).
- Became an experienced editor of essays, news articles, and other non-fiction writing forms.
1994 San Francisco State University: Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Italian Literature
1995 Transworld English: TESL course
1998 British Chamber of Commerce in Spain: Seminar in Business and English
2002 International House: Teachers of Younger Learners Development Course
2009 Macmillan English Language Teaching: Macmillan Teachers’ Day Course
2009 I.E.N.: Young Learners’ Teacher Development 30-hour Workshop
Married since 2001 to a Spanish citizen; mother of two; interested in world events, New Media,
and the latest psycho-neurological research as it pertains to human behavior and to
language-learning in particular. Also enjoy non-fiction reading, traveling and good wine.